Paul started his professional career in the Valuation Office of Northern Ireland, but spent most of his career in higher education where he was head of architecture and civil engineering at Nottingham Trent University(NTU). He is now a course leader and teaches planning and development subjects within NTU’s Property Management and Development department. He has interests in master-planning, urban design and green infrastructure.
Outside of Nottingham Trent, he is currently:
- chair of the RICS Planning & Development Professional Board and undertakes APC work for planning & development, management consultancy and academic pathways.
- external examiner at the Royal Agricultural University and for The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland.
- a member of Propertymark examinations governing body.
- a board member of social enterprise and charity, Nottingham Energy Partnership charged with energy saving and generation in and around Nottingham
- feature editor for EG’s Mainly for Students column.
- Over 2015-26 he contributed to the review of the Quality Assurance Agency’s Subject Benchmark ‘Land, Construction, Real Estate and Surveying’.
He was elected to the Academia and Education Strategy seat on RICS Governing Council in 2018.